Romantic Movies on the DL

I think I speak for a lot of people out there when I say I love watching Chick-flicks. Yes, they are cheesy and almost superficial, but I would be lying if I said I didn't want to watch the new Netflix movie with Noah Centineo. I wonder, though, what have these movies from media companies given us?
From the start of a classic romantic movie, its always the guy meets the girl, and some centrifugal force gets in the way of their true love, then they live happily ever after and blah blah blah. These constant ideas and viewpoints of what love is are interpreted to almost every audience member of what someone's relationship should look like, or what we should do with our partner. Why is this? Why do we feel the need to fulfill the expectations that these films put out for us? The truth is, this is all part of marketing in the media. The media creates these cute and lovable films show us the type of relationship we crave but didn't even know we wanted until it existed. They make sure they cast the hottest guy, paired with the prettiest girl, all to get people to watch their movies. If we watch their movies, they make money- it's that simple.
Now, I'm not saying to strike against every romance film you come across. It is completely unnecessary when we can just stop letting the influence of media shape our societal standards. "Love" is not what the media puts out. Instead, it is left for us to make our own, not wanting "The Notebook-type-of-thing". It is not wanting a woman exactly like Laura Jean or a man like Noah Centineo. Romance films should simply be for enjoyment and pure pleasure. So next time you watch another one of these movies, just remember it's not real, but just there to grab your attention to keep watching.   It is just there to get the rating, the sales, and the Oscar.





Comments

  1. I definitely agree with your claims about the media creating these lovable films that show us relationships we crave but didn't know existed. I also think sometimes they set a standard that we hope to live up to, but rarely do. In the movie, "To All the Boys I've Loved Before," I saw a lot of people talking about how they were glad Lara Jean had the part because in a typical romance movie it's a high class white girl that has the main part, but Lara Jean prove that any race or class can achieve this relationship. I think there are pros and cons to chick flicks, but overall like you said, they shouldn't be taken too seriously and are only made for entertainment.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment