Miss-Representation: A World-Wide Issue

As being a woman myself, I was aware of the undermining misogyny going on in the world against our gender, but not the severe extent we were at in our society. This week in class, we watched the film MissRepresentation. This documentary gave me an open view to what is really going on in the world, which is consistent sexism. The film was a great example of how woman are presented in the wrong way, and this is caused by media in advertising, TV shows, movies, and so many more.
While watching the film, we were introduced to many new ideas of specifically how media effects a woman. These assumptions and presentations of how woman look can take a mental toll on an individual. Personally, this has effected me. It is the little things like doing online shopping and looking at clothes at a model, knowing that that shirt, dress, or blouse won't look as good on me as it does on the model. As a result, this discourages me, and derails my value. However, I am not the only woman who sufferes from this "disease" of comparison. Specifically, so many others have it worse than me like developing depression, ED's, or even suicidal attempts. It is sad to see that we are presented with an image of an "ideal woman" that society expects us to be, when really it is all just a mirage for advertisment- not for our own self conscious that takes over our minds.
What also appealed to me in the film was when they talked about women in politics. This is an interesting topic because there is not much to say, as there are not many women that are represented in congress today to speak a voice. I feel that women in politics is a voice that is muted by the world. As the documentary said, "Patriarchy is the default setting." This is interesting because this is part of the reason women are so suppressed in the powerful branches of legislation today. But I believe what also applies to the misogyny is a consumer's voice. This is probably the most powerful right? Consumers make up all of our population, and companies, politicians, and TV Networks work all of these angles and socialization to please us and get us to watch that TV show or get the money.
This is the sad part- out of this want for consumption and overall money, women are the outcome that are put down and silenced, when we can be the biggest, loudest voice. Take this into consideration- when's the last time you saw a movie? Who was the main character? Was the main character male or female? That says a lot about the society we live in.



Comments

  1. I agree with you on the subject of how representation affects young women. That is why I believe that Captain Marvel was so big in the news due to the news of having a strong female heroine as the main character. That is why Wonder Women was so big as well, girls want to see themselves on the big screen and seeing themselves being successful. I hope that we see more women in powerful positions on the big screen it is always a good feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can totally relate to the "disease" of comparison. I think every little girl at some point or another felt really down about their bodies, and felt that the only way to be pretty was to look like the unrealistically skinny models in the media. I remember how whenever I saw a model in a magazine I would immediately compare her body to mine, and I would always come to the conclusion that hers was better. This toxic behavior leads girls to be hostile to one another, because our insecurity causes us to constantly compare ourselves to the girls around us, and try to find the flaws in others to feel better about ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the way you referred to comparison as a disease. I think that is honestly the best way to describe it, because comparison is something that we develop and attain over time, which only gets worse as we grow. I am definitely guilty of constantly comparing myself to everyone around me, whether its consciously or subconsciously. It really sucks that we have to live in a society where we are constantly trying to please everyone around us, but I think one of our biggest flaws is feeling the need to compare.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with your whole blog, specifically how you said many women suffer depression and other mental health issues. I am glad I haven't experienced any horrible events that made me question my value as a women, but to the women who have it must be very devastating and discouraging. For these women, the media doesn't help. I think the standards it set for women compared to men are horrible. I agree the saddest part is that the media all does this for money, which clearly shows a big problem in our society.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with everything you have said. Especially the part where u call media a disease. Media has put these expectations into women’s head to make them believe they are only pretty if they look like this, when the people they are showing aren’t even real. This has lead to women today photoshopping all their photos to make themselves feel better and women becoming depressed because they think they aren’t pretty enough. Media has definetly ruined the standards of women beauty and it is disappointing to me as well as a lot of people

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment